Areas of Practice
We are advocates.
We provide guidance on each step of the process in order to best protect your rights and remedies in law. We are dedicated to meeting the legal needs of our clients. View our areas of practice below to see how we can help you:
The employment relationship is one of the most important relationships we can experience. When a dispute arises at work, employers and employees will require advice about the workplace-related issues including hiring, managing, discipline and termination. We can help.
• Advice with respect to wrongful dismissal (both for employees and employers)
• Advice as to whether sufficient grounds exist to terminate employment for just cause
• Unjust dismissal complaints under the Canada Labour Code
• Quantum of damages
• Human Rights Remedies
• Disability and Accommodation Rights
• Workplace Harassment and Violence investigations
General commercial litigation involves virtually every type of dispute that can arise in the business context, including breach of contract cases, partnership / joint venture disputes, business torts, breach of fiduciary duty allegations, and shareholder issues. We can help.
• Breach of Contract
• Shareholder Disputes
• Tort Claims
• Investment Advisor and Broker Negligence
Anne Marie and Adrien are the authors of Officers’ and Directors’ Liability-A View from the Court, the Advocates’ Quarterly, Vol 27 at p. 155.
Trusts, Claims & Equitable Remedies
Trust law applies to virtually any type of property. Examples of property include real estate, boats, bank accounts, and investment portfolios. Equitable remedies such as constructive trust and estoppel address the unfairness of another’s conduct. This is a challenging and complex area of the law. We can help.
• Unjust Enrichment
• Resulting Trust
• Constructive Trust
Personal Injury & Casualty
The term “personal injury” applies to a wide area of claims that arise when one party believes that their damages were caused by another party, resulting in litigation. Examples of personal injury claims range from those involving motor vehicle accidents, slip (or trip) and fall, wrongful death and defective products. We can help. We offer contingency fee retainers in certain circumstances*.
• Motor Vehicle / Motorcycle / Bicycle / Pedestrian Collisions
• Statutory Accident Benefits
• Slip and Fall Incidents
• Occupiers’ Liability
• Dog Bite
• Disability Benefits (including group and private plans, and CPP)
• Wrongful Death
• Defective Products
* Our firm offers a maximum contingency fee rate of 30 per cent of damages recovered in “tort” actions. With our Accident Benefits, the following percentage are the maximum we charge in each respective circumstance; Recovery up to $500,000, a maximum of a 15 % ; Recovery between $500,000 to $1 million, a maximum of 10 % and, Recovery between $1 to $2 million, a maximum of 8 %. You may access the Law Society of Ontario’s guide to Contingency Fees: What you need to know, A guide from the Law Society of Ontario
Property Damage & Loss
Property damage or property loss can be caused by any reason imaginable, such as damage due to construction, explosion, fire, and/or water. Depending on the scenario, the conditions, and the extent of the damages, you may be denied insurance coverage or may disagree with your insurance company on the value of your loss from the property damages. We can help.
• Homeowners Insurance Coverage Claims
• Design and Construction Defects
• Product Liability
• Fire Insurance